Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Real Classroom Experiences

If you were a first grade teacher and noticed that a student was struggling, what would you do? Would you follow the advice of a colleague and just say they were a "late bloomer" and would catch up next year?

If I had a student in my classroom that was struggling I would never put the problem off as a “brain maturation issue” and just let the teacher they had next year worry about.  It is my job as that child’s teacher to do all I can to help them.  If I knew a child was struggling, it would be time for me to implement some changes to my curriculum.  First, I would find books that were on a level slightly lower than what other children may be reading because I want to challenge my students, not overwhelm them with unrealistic expectations.  I would then introduce the child to phonics.  As we have discussed in class, children that are struggling will be more likely to succeed with phonics then trying whole language practices.  I would give the class worksheets to practice what they were learning, but break down the “poor early reader’s” worksheets into a phonics type of exercise.  I saw that the child was improving; I would gradually make the worksheets harder until they were at a more fitting reading level.  I would try to not pull the student out of my classroom because I would want to try group work were these children that were struggling could also be offered help and support from their peers.  As I have mentioned in class, peer interaction is very important to me.  I would do all I could to ensure success for EVERY child in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment